Right of Way Management
Why does BREC actively manage its rights-of-way?
BREC’s primary mission is to provide safe, reliable and reasonably priced electricity to our members. One of the biggest challenges to that mission is maintaining power line rights-of-way. BREC operates and maintains more than 4,100 miles of line through some of the most densely forested areas in Missouri. The number one reason for outages, whether during snow and ice or some of our fierce Missouri thunderstorms, is trees coming in contact with or destroying power lines. BREC employs a variety of strategies including: side-trimming, mowing, tree removal and vegetation management techniques in an active right-of-way management program to improve reliability and control costs.
The goal of the program is to cut and/or trim the areas around distribution lines on a six-year rotation. Simply put, clear rights of way reduce the number of outages. Proactively managing our rights-of-way helps keep the power on for you and your neighbors. Clear rights of way reduce the number of outages and provide a path to faster restoration when they do occur.
What are the most important elements of the program?
- Member Cooperation – right of way management in part depends on our members. As a locally-owned electric cooperative, we respect the rights of property owners. (We understand because we live here too). Please remember that tree trimming and right of way maintenance is crucial to keeping the lights on for you and your neighbors.
- Rights-of-Way cut for new construction of lines will be cut at R1-40 specifications. R1-40 specification requires a 40-foot minimum from ground to tree-top.
- Trees that require cutting will be cut as low as applicable (generally less than 3 inches).
- Underbrush and tree-tops will be stacked to either side of the 40-foot corridor.
- Logs will be moved to either side of the Right-of-Way allowing access to construction crews. Logs are generally cut in mill length of 8' 6", 10' 6", etc.
- Trees on the borderline of the 40-foot corridor will be removed if by reason of excessive side-trimming the tree may predictably decay.
BREC treasures the natural beauty of our service territory just like you do. We know you also treasure the electricity that helps us enjoy our homes and properties. Right-of-way management program helps us keep the lights on for you.